Summer course at Oviedo University
04/23/2013 Leave a comment
Ornamental rocks in construction: granite and roofing slate
This year I have organized a summer course on various technical aspects of slate and granite. The objectives and current programming are summarized as follows:
Spain is the largest producer of roofing slate and the second largest producer of granite in the world. Currently, both sectors are suffering the effects of the economic crisis, which is forcing companies to restructure looking for R & D developments that open new markets, and at the same time, incorporate the latest technologies in production processes in order to optimize operating costs.
This summer school will have a special focus on new technologies and products that have emerged in recent years, and also in the practical application of EN norms in both materials, with the aim of improving the training of technicians specialized laboratory tests. Special attention to the section of petrographic analysis and its practical applications as a qualitative indicator will be given.
The course is aimed primarily at university students of engineering and geology, architects, extractive companies and laboratories of accreditation of ornamental rocks.
- Overview of the sectors of granite and slate roofing: history, economic, productive areas.
- Technological advances in the sector in R & D and industrial development.
- Geological and technical features granite and slate roofing.
- Laboratory testing and regulations.
- Practical aspects of implementing petrographic examination techniques in both materials.
- Lope Calleja Escudero, PhD in Geological Sciences and Professor in the Department of Geology at the University of Oviedo.
- Victor Cárdenes Van den Eynde, PhD in Geological Sciences and Master in Geological and Geotechnical Resources.
- Nuria Sánchez Delgado, BA in Geological Sciences and head of the Laboratory of the Technological Center of Granite, Porrino.
- Alvaro Ordoñez Rubio, PhD in Geological Sciences and assistant professor in the Department of Geology at the University of Oviedo.
- Victor Pais Diz, Degree in Geology, senior geologist at Cupa Slates.
Dates and price:
15 to 19 July 2013. Enrollment period April 18 to July 8, 2013.
Price: 98,51€ for students of the Oviedo University, 140,73 € for the rest.
The course will be given in Spanish and English.